Sunday, March 8, 2009

Bloggers Unite for International Women's Day


Started as a political event, the holiday blended in the culture of many countries (primarily Russia and the countries of former Soviet bloc). In some celebrations, the day lost its political flavour, and became simply an occasion for men to express their love to the women around them in a way somewhat similar to Mother's Day and St Valentine's Day mixed together. In others, however, the political and human rights theme as designated by the United Nations runs strong, and political and social awareness of the struggles of women worldwide are brought out and examined in a hopeful manner.

6 comments:

  1. True. And some of us have tried to do just that - shine some light on some of the UN themes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a cool symbol, so simple, and yet so powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos to you for being the first guy I've seen (in a virtual/blogging sense) who's written about IWD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm..... You're not going "girlie blog" are you? And I mean that in nicest possible way. Please don't take offense, I couldn't resist after your last comment on my blog. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's great you have this up. I also made mention of an example of a very successful woman in a leadership (and technical) position, this year's Black Engineer of the Year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @A. - And you have done a wonderful job, if I may say. Truly.

    @Chica - Sigh. Ever the designer. :)

    @Lidian - Yes, ever so sensitive. Please spread the word about me. Thanks. :)

    @Sue - I wish I knew you better so I could feel free to be rude to you. But your day will come. :)

    @Stephanie - Yay! And I KNOW you want to also mention Condie Rice. :) Yay to all of you, I say, no matter your skin color. Still a ways to go, but not so far as our grandmothers. So cool. I did read your post. Great. As usual!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails