1. "They threw me off the hay truck about noon."
2. Call me Ishmael.
3. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...
4. If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth.
5. When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.
6. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.
7. It was a bright cold day in April, and all the clocks were striking thirteen.
8. The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new.
9. Whether or not I turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show.
10. Through the fence, between the curling flower spaces, I could see them hitting.