The US embassy tweeted that it was "on lockdown; all travel suspended. Please, everyone, be safe out there." Protesters were heard crying, "Long live Mullah Omar!" referring to the Taliban leader, and "Death to America! Death to Karzai!" The outrage wasn't limited to the streets, either; parliament passed a resolution demanding the Koran burners be punished, and several lawmakers shouted "death to America!" inside the chamber. A senior military official tells the Washington Post that the Korans had been removed from the base's prison library because they had radical messages scrawled in them.
Editorial comment: Once again, it is well past the time the U.S. should get out of Afghanistan.
1. We furnished our enemies, who we have captured and imprisoned, a library. This is located, probably, between the cafeteria and the soccer field. In that library we placed several Korans. This is because our enemies are very devout and need to read the Koran while they are locked up. They only want to kill us, after all, because their religion tells them they ought to kill us.
2. Some of these prisoners, devoutly, I'm sure, wrote fanatical things all over these Koran library copies. Death to America and what have you. The ignorant American jailers tossed the defiled Korans (Kori?) in the trash. When will we learn? - Should have probably gave them to a cleric for disposal. Or something.
3. The trash gets taken out and burned.
4. Muslim janitors on the American payroll note that in the fire are Korans burning. Americans rush to take them out of the fire, burning hands in process. But edges of pages are clearly burned. Muslim janitor employees, of course, feel it their duty to tell their friends and neighbors what the infidels have done. All hell breaks loose, so to speak. And it continues. Four dead as of this writing. See attached picture of Muslims with mouths open shaking fists and carrying signs. Flags will doubtless be burned. You've seen this picture, or one just like it, a thousand times since we've been in Afghanistan. Is this a rational response of a civilized people to what happened? Why am I the only one who thinks these people are irrational barbarians? I know, I know, it's only a few million who are doing these things. The rest of the Muslim world is very peaceful and rational. (And that's the truth, btw.)
5. Question: why would we want to spend billions to build schools and new roads and bridges and work to improve women's rights in Afghanistan, and pay the salaries of Afghan government employees? Is there anyone left out there who still thinks these people will start to love us? Thank us? Stop wanting to kill us? Really?
Go home, America.