Analyzing the facts to solve the problem methodically and dispassionately like Sherlock Holmes would do.
1. There was a shooting incident in the USA recently.
2. There have been many shooting incidents in the USA over the years.
3. Almost always in these cases the shooter is deranged, or is a social misfit in some aspect or other.
4. The recent shooting took place in Arizona.
5. The recent shooting took place in Tucson.
6. The recent shooting took place in an urban shopping area.
7. The recent shooting involved a minor political meeting where a congresswoman was intending to interact with her constituents and receive their comments and input.
8. There was a large grocery store near where the shooting occured.
9. There was a large pharmacy near where the shooting occured.
10. The shooter arrived in an automobile.
11. The shooter had a handgun.
12. The shooter had ammunition for his handgun.
13. The shooter knew how to fire his handgun.
14. The handgun was capable of firing a large number of bullets before having to be reloaded.
15. Old people were shot and killed.
16. Young adults were shot and killed.
17. A child was shot and killed.
18. Sometimes these types of shootings take place on college campuses.
19. Sometimes these types of shootings take place in high schools.
20. Sometimes these types of shootings take place on the grounds of elementary schools.
21. Sometimes these types of shootings take place where the shooter used to be employed.
22. Sometimes the shooter is young.
23. The shooter in the most recent case had parents and lived in their home.
What other facts and potential clues can you think of?
What things can we deduce from the clues? What action needs to be taken in order to prevent public shootings from happening again in the future?
I know the followers of this blog pretty well, so certainly the most obvious remedy they would most likely suggest would be to make it illegal for private citizens to have guns in the U.S.
But what other things should we do, based on the other facts we’ve uncovered?
1. All people should, at the very least, be given psychological testing at least every three years. (Crazy people do more than just fire guns in crowds.) One would be issued a “not crazy” stamp on his driver’s license. Definition of "not crazy" would be set by a committee consisting of Nancy Pelosi, Howard Dean, and James Carville.
2. All schoolchildren would be moniored to make sure they weren’t loners or being bullied. Or at least not allowed to wear black to school.
3. Arizona obviously needs to just be ceded to Mexico and be done with it. They’ve simply offended liberal sensibilities one time too many. Their professional sports teams could be moved to Alabama.
4. Tucson is not as bad as Arizona as a whole. Pehaps everyone could be moved on campus and just build a wall around it.
5. It is obvious that shopping centers draw crowds of people, therefore we need to take another look at the “freedom of assembly” thing to see if that portion of the constitution is outdated. In the meantime, no more permits for large stores within 2 miles of each other.
6. Private automobiles have a terrible history of causing and facilitating crime in the U.S. For one thing, drunks couldn’t kill nearly as many innocent people if they were made to walk or ride buses. Cars use oil and mainly only create more and more Arab wealth. Americans have no constitutional right to own cars. Cars need to go.
7. If guns can’t be banned, at least require them all to be single shot .22s.
8. Obviously, the elderly should not be allowed to attend public events.
9. The time has come to find an alternative to education where large amount of students congregate in a confined area. Home schooling for elementary students is the answer, if coupled with computer degrees for older students.
10. Employees who are fired instead of retired should be assumed to be disgruntled, and each must be followed to insure they don’t return to their previous workplace.
What else can we do? Much. but the above would be a start.
The very thought makes me feel safer already.
Tomorrow: quotes on this subject by politicians and talk show hosts.